Liseberg Helix Press Event

Post your reports from CLUB Trips here
Carl Dickson
Wacky Worm

Liseberg Helix Press Event

Post by Carl Dickson » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Firstly can I say a huge THANK YOU to Liseberg and everyone else who organised this day trip. I don't think I can come up with enough words to describe how happy I was with how the day went, and there was a very specific reason why.

For those that were unaware, this was my first ever visit to Liseberg. Infact it was my first visit to Sweden!
When I booked for the trip, I was just delighted that I could finally get the opportunity to visit a place I had been sadly putting off for some time (due to various reasons), and also to simply get the chance to ride Helix which I had been looking forward to since the project had been announced years ago. I was completely blown away by Mack's previous launched looping coaster, so I just had to go and ride Helix.

Now picture the scene, we are all sitting in Liseberg's Tyrolean Restaurant after a nice lunch, and Justin says there's a surprise. The Liseberg staff announce that we were all invited to their Staff and Family Day from 6pm that very evening. All coasters would be open for us for ride for at least two hours before we had to leave for the airport, and apart from Helix they would all more/less be a walk-on!!!

Imagine how I felt at that moment.
My first visit to Liseberg, just to ride Helix, and then I suddenly get the chance to ride Balder and Lisebergbanan too. To say I was completely over the moon after hearing that would be a very big understatement!!! :hyper:

With the anticipation of now riding every coaster at Liseberg, I was in complete joy overload for the rest of the day. I had a look around the park to take photos before the Helix Media Event started. The park sort of reminded me of a mixture of theme park and traditional amusement park. A cross between Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but much better in terms of everything!, and I like that a lot. While theming is great for any ride, to also have that traditional aspect too really makes Liseberg feel very cosy and friendly.

After that, it was on to riding Helix for the Media Event which was very enjoyable. We had Helix for most of the afternoon, so it was front row, back row, middle, trying quite a few seats, and I managed to get onto the last train of the event too.

So what did I think of the ride?...............

A coaster I have been immensely looking forward to ever since it's first announcement, and that's because a similar ride at another park had impressed me greatly. Blue Fire at Europa Park. Mack had created a glorious looping coaster, with a launch, that had trains with only a lap bar. It was sensational, and it immediately became my No.1 Steel Coaster. Ever since it has remained No.1 and I said to myself that it would take something very special indeed to beat Blue Fire.
Then I rode Helix.

WOW!!!!!!! :yikes: Helix has everything Blue Fire has got, and more. A lot more. A heck of a lot more.
Two launches, seven inversions, all in Mack's superb lap bar trains. Then you add the magical word which brings joy to any coaster enthusiast's ear........Airtime. Helix has lots and lots of airtime, and not just on the hills either. It is amazing to ride a looping coaster where you are kept off your seat for as much as you are on Helix. The inversions are fantastic too. The drop / corkscrew out of the station is a brilliant start, launched into another corkscrew, the pretzel loop pulls serious positive G, the next flat corkscrew just feels weird, launching into the top-hat inversion, and then finally finishing on one of the most sensational inversions ever created.....the Blue Fire Inline Twist. An exquisite finish to a truly stunning ride in every way.
I said it needed something special to beat Blue Fire. We've just got it.
NEW No.1 STEEL COASTER!!!!!!! :excite:

Congratulations Liseberg, you've got a winner. :clap:

We were then taken behind the scenes inside Balder to write (or re-write) a message on the wooden bents, followed by a ride on Kanonen which the park opened specially for us. I love Liseberg! :-D
Then in the evening it was onto Balder, Lisebergbanan, Stampbaden, Rabalder. All great rides, especially Lisebergbanan. My god what a fantastic coaster!!! Schwarzkopf smoothness, plus extreme speed, and more airtime!!! :big-grin:
A few of us tried to get a last ride on Atmosfear, their Intamin Giant Drop Tower, before leaving. But we ended up breaking the ride.........3 times! :facepalm: The ride kept stopping at the roof entrance of the building and we were dropped from there. So at the moment it's a great mini-drop tower :lol: , but I think I'll have to come back and try it again properly. (as if I need an excuse to come back to Liseberg!!!!!) ;)

Once again I just simply can't thank Liseberg enough for what was the best day out I have ever had. They really treated us like VIP's, posh coach to/from the airport, free lunch, free dinner, all the rides, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. They really made my first visit to their park truly memorable.

I also need to thank Andrew Shakespeare for the lifts to/from Stansted too. Cheers for that!!! :thumbs:

Liseberg is a special place, and you can guarantee I will be back very very soon. :)
Cheers!

Carl Dickson
(Spin Ride God)
+ German Beer Enthusiast!!! :D

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Re: Liseberg Helix Press Event

Post by Richard Bannister » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Seems like I was lucky - I got one successful drop on Atmosfear before the two breakdowns with you. It's pretty freaky when you look out towards the park given how high you are.

Carl Dickson
Wacky Worm

Post by Carl Dickson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:12 am

Yeah we were very unlucky with Atmosfear. The two breakdowns you've mentioned, plus we tried a sneaky further ride 5-10mins later after a successful test run which then also broke down. I just wasn't meant to ride Atmosfear that day. Did you jinx it? Lol. ;)
Cheers!

Carl Dickson
(Spin Ride God)
+ German Beer Enthusiast!!! :D

bob clark
Wacky Worm

Post by bob clark » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:46 pm

A big thank you to everyone at Liseberg and especially Andreas for making yet another very special day trip - Helix is a great addition to the park. Balder remains a very impressive and enjoyable woodie, but Lisebergbanen is still my favourite - Wow what a line up !!
My wonderful 6th trip to Liseberg - can't wait to make it 7
It was great to see all my old friends again from all over Europe who also helped make the day special and to Justin and the ECC team for their behind the scenes work.
Thanks everyone and here's to the next launch !