ECC in the UAE

This forum is dedicated to our trips.
Sam Dodd
Teeny Weeny Coaster
Coaster Count: 42

Re: ECC in the UAE

Post by Sam Dodd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:47 am

Hi just a quick question will local transport be provided on this trip?

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi Sam - yes, it will! The Club will be organising flights, hotels, park entry, special extras, and a coach to get us around the Emirates! Expect an official invite in the coming weeks :)
Last edited by BenCase on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horcruxer
Coaster Count: 217

Post by horcruxer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi,

Been to the UAE before and really enjoyed it, so I'm definitely up for this trip!

James

Eluc
Wacky Worm
Coaster Count: 102

Post by Eluc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am

In order to check for flights from other part of Europe, when will you confirm the flight schedule from UK ? Will you land in Dubai or Abou Dabi ? Now the prices are still high, but I want to be ready to jump on deal when they arrive. Maybe we will even come one day earlier to Dubai in order to visit and eventually add the famous Dubai waterpark on the trip (don't know the name).

MooseLover
Teeny Weeny Coaster
Coaster Count: 747

Post by MooseLover » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:52 am

If rcdb info is correct, Global Village is only open Nov-Feb. No big loss, as it looks like mostly powered kiddie coasters, but just a heads-up.

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Post by Richard Bannister » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:09 am

Global Village is the equivalent of a large fairground. The rides there change from year to year.

The last time I was there there were three coasters, a Go Gator, and the powered mine train that used to operate at American Adventure.

Worth noting however that all of the above came from UK showmen and the whole event was run by Mellors Group, so CreHos might be disappointed :)

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:21 pm

horcruxer wrote:Hi,

Been to the UAE before and really enjoyed it, so I'm definitely up for this trip!

James
Great to hear James! It's a pretty cool place :)
Eluc wrote:In order to check for flights from other part of Europe, when will you confirm the flight schedule from UK ? Will you land in Dubai or Abou Dabi? Now the prices are still high, but I want to be ready to jump on deal when they arrive. Maybe we will even come one day earlier to Dubai in order to visit and eventually add the famous Dubai waterpark on the trip (don't know the name).
Hi Eluc - as mentioned a few posts ago, expect the invite to come out in the next week or two. All the details, including the flight schedule, will be in there. And it might not be a bad idea to arrive a day earlier or build some time in at the end of the trip; there's of course lots of other non-coaster stuff to see (or even more kiddie coasters to ride) in the UAE! Re. the famous Dubai waterpark, we're going to Yas Waterworld (in my opinion one of the world's best) as part of the trip, but you could also give Aquaventure at Atlantis The Palm a go, or try Wild Wadi.
MooseLover wrote:If rcdb info is correct, Global Village is only open Nov-Feb. No big loss, as it looks like mostly powered kiddie coasters, but just a heads-up.
Thanks Jim! The Global Village website confirms it'll be open when we're visiting, so all's good there - although as Richard says, we perhaps shouldn't expect too much of their coasters...!

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:57 pm

We are very pleased to announce that the ECC UAE trip invite is now ready! Our inaugural Arabian Adventure is taking place from Friday 17th – Wednesday 22nd March 2017.

This will be a full service trip, with flights, 4-star hotel, coach travel and park entry included. It’s no exaggeration to say that there's some truly spectacular stuff for us to see and ride; in the coming months, two huge new complexes are opening their doors (IMG Worlds of Adventure in August and Dubai Parks and Resorts in October), and Ferrari World will continue to expand its world-class ride line-up - we'll be touring it all. We'll also visit one of the world's best water parks, Yas Waterworld, as well as take a trip up the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. And of course you can expect some park extras too!

We have worked hard to get the best possible prices for the trip, but the deadline is short: you MUST confirm your attendance by Sunday 24th July. If you'd like to join us - don't delay!

See you in the desert! :)

UK Invite: https://db.tt/xEiosAXl
Mainland Invite: https://db.tt/e0KUWfwI
North America Invite: https://db.tt/b22CHW3j

jamesllo

Post by jamesllo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi - have just seen the itinerary / invite for this trip that Justin posted to the PDF list. Looks very interesting to say the least.

My initial thought, however, was "are you trying to cram too much into the trip?". Justin said the trip would be intense and he is not joking. I've not done Yas Waterworld, but if it's anything like Aquaventure in Dubai, you could easily spend an entire day here alone and not get bored. Also, it is normally dark in the UAE by 6:30pm at the latest - many parks have their hours based around daylight time.

FerrariWorld is great - when I went there were only 2 coasters, so we only needed a couple of hours at most here (even though we had about 5hrs). If you are unlucky and get a sandstorm - as we did for about an hour - the coasters that go outdoors cease operation.

As to the warning about UAE laws / customs / behaviour - read it and consider it carefully. In practice, most of the forbidden things happen behind closed doors (e.g. drinking / sharing hotel rooms out of wedlock etc) - just behave yourself 100% and be respectful in both demeanour & how you are dressed in public and you'll be fine. With regard to alcohol, it is expensive, very expensive (the only thing that is really taxed in Dubai). Expect to pay £8-£9 for a pint of lager given the hammering Sterling took last week. You can buy cheap alcohol in arrivals Duty Free at the airport though, just before you pass through Customs - the staff are very helpful and will tell your duty free limits.

With regard to flights - Emirates fly to Dubai multiple times a day from most main regional UK airports if you want to avoid the trek to/from Heathrow. There is a PremierInn very near Dubai Airport that is cheap, so you could fly out the day before, grab a cheap room then get a taxi back to the airport to join the trip. Taxi's in Dubai are very cheap (I remember a taxi driver telling us it cost him about £12 to fill the tank on a mid-range Toyota taxi - when we told him it cost us about £60 to fill our cars in the UK he almost had a heart attack, which on the 6-lane Sheikh Zayed Highway is scary... if you want a real fright, don't go on coasters, just look at the driving standards in Dubai - we've had a taxi driver on Skype to his sister in another country on said 6 lane Sheikh Zayed Highway).

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Post by Richard Bannister » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:23 am

If it helps, the day I did Yas it was completely deserted with all slides walk-on – and I spent just over two hours there.

As for the driving in Dubai, just remember to tear down the dotted line and you'll be fine. In all seriousness, I've driven there a few times and I managed OK – I find New York to be considerably worse.