ECC in the UAE

This forum is dedicated to our trips.
BenCase
Treetops

ECC in the UAE

Post by BenCase » Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 pm

The Trips team are already busy planning next year's trips schedule, and we are now pleased to announce that the first trip of 2017 will be a 5 day tour around the parks of the UAE!

This will be the first time the ECC visits the UAE, and there's some truly spectacular stuff for us to see and ride. In the coming months, 2 huge new complexes are opening their doors (IMG Worlds of Adventure in August and Dubai Parks and Resorts in October), and Ferrari World will continue to expand its world-class ride lineup - we'll be touring it all. We'll also visit one of the world's best water parks, Yas Waterworld, as well as take a trip up the world's tallest skyscraper, the Burj Khalifa.

The full invite will be out by the summer, but in an effort to give members as much notice as possible, we're publishing dates now!

The dates are CONFIRMED and won't change: Friday 17th March - Wednesday 22nd March 2017. The Club will be organising flights on the Friday and Wednesday evenings. Expect the total cost to be just over £1,000 including flights.

Interested? Get the dates in your diary and we'll give you more as soon as we have it :)

Martin Valt
Grand National

Re: ECC in the UAE

Post by Martin Valt » Wed May 25, 2016 11:52 pm

I've already visited some of these parks, and would be very interested indeed in making another visit to the UAE. This trip does look very promising.

However, given the well-documented history of significant delays associated with the opening of almost all visitor attractions (including amusement parks) in the UAE, scheduling a trip in March 2017 does appear to lie somewhere on a spectrum between slightly optimistic and downright foolhardy. Eager as I may be to hit the new coasters out there, might it not be somewhat more prudent to wait until all these parks are in fact operating before confirming dates?

As always, just saying.....
Last edited by Martin Valt on Thu May 26, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring me fun
Bring me sunshine
Bring me love

Martin

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Post by Richard Bannister » Thu May 26, 2016 1:19 am

Ferrari World is open now.

IMG is due in August, and Motiongate in October.

March allows the latter to be six months late...

Martin Valt
Grand National

Post by Martin Valt » Thu May 26, 2016 5:45 am

Ferrari World has been open for a number of years. I've been there on three occasions.

However, given the history of parks in this neck of the woods, there's little reason to assume that those parks currently under construction (IMG/Motiongate/Lego) will be operational on the projected dates.

Hope I'm wrong, but I won't personally be planning another UAE trip until all the new stuff is up and running.
Bring me fun
Bring me sunshine
Bring me love

Martin

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Fri May 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Martin Valt wrote:Scheduling a trip in March 2017 does appear to lie somewhere on a spectrum between slightly optimistic and downright foolhardy.
Hey Martin - absolutely agree that there is an element of risk attached with organising a trip to parks where rides are still being built (case in point: Kolmården / Phantasialand both proving headaches for the Trips Team at the moment...).

However, in this case we're confident in putting on the UAE tour because:

- Many members have yet to set foot in the UAE at all, and Ferrari / Yas Waterworld / Global Village / Sega Republic are all certain to be open.
- Contacts in both DPR & IMG WoA have given me comfort that their resorts are on track to open as scheduled. Both have had set opening months for some time now.
- We have baked in an 8 month buffer for IMG / 6 month buffer for DPR.
- Should any of the attractions not be open when we visit, there are plenty of FEC / Kiddie credits in the Emirates we can divert to instead...

We also have to balance the need to wait until we are certain about everything being open, against the need to put out dates for trips to members with good notice - a focus for the Trips Team going into 2017.

Fingers crossed we won't be disappointed :).

Martin Valt
Grand National

Post by Martin Valt » Sun May 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks for your response Ben.

As I said, I really hope I'm wrong, and that all these extremely interesting projects open on time and are fully operational by March 2017.

The trip does look very good and - if these parks do open - I will definitely be signing up for it. But still think I'll hang fire for a while before committing to it. Out of interest, when do you anticipate the deadline for payments etc might be?

Thanks.
Bring me fun
Bring me sunshine
Bring me love

Martin

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Martin Valt wrote:The trip does look very good and - if these parks do open - I will definitely be signing up for it.
Great! From the reaction to the announcement of the trip on Facebook, I think there might be a few of us going...!

In order to secure attractive prices on the flights and hotels, my aim is to get the invite out in the next month or two, with a booking deadline not long after that. I understand this may not be ideal from a "wait-and-see-if-things-open" point of view, but we're committed to the trip for the reasons mentioned above - and want to keep costs down.

For what it's worth, I am confident in IMG opening in August as planned. As I understand it, the inside is pretty much finished, with only the outside entrance and parking lot still to be constructed - and you can buy dated entry tickets for opening day (15th August) now. There is likely more risk in the Dubai Parks & Resorts opening date, but with a 6 month buffer, I'd hope not to get caught out. Our sources remain positive!

Mike Sheridan
Teeny Weeny Coaster
Coaster Count: 211

Post by Mike Sheridan » Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm

I appreciate that those who've been before and are interested in new rides may be reluctant to commit early, but as someone who has never been anywhere near the UAE I'll be more than happy to ride what's there already. New parks/rides will be a bonus.
Bring it on Ben :box:

BenCase
Treetops

Post by BenCase » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Mike Sheridan wrote:I appreciate that those who've been before and are interested in new rides may be reluctant to commit early, but as someone who has never been anywhere near the UAE I'll be more than happy to ride what's there already. New parks/rides will be a bonus.
Good to hear Mike. Watch this space for the invite! :)

scottie
Steeplechase

Post by scottie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:43 pm

I have also never been to the UAE and Dubai has been on my wish list for some time. My birthday is also just before it. I am very interested in this trip. I will make a final decision when the invite comes but at the moment I am 95% certain I will be applying.