Our USA / Canada Road Trip

Discuss trips you're organising yourself here...
David Ellis
Finance
Coaster Count: 1220

Re: Our USA / Canada Road Trip

Post by David Ellis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:54 pm

If anyone has any recommendations of non-coaster things that are 'must-do' at the parks we are visiting then any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

David.
David Ellis
Guinness World Record holder for riding roller coasters naked
https://www.youtube.com/user/davidjellis

malcolm
Ben Hur Racer

Post by malcolm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 am

David Ellis wrote:We're using Budget (booked via eBookers) as they only charged $300 one-way fee compared to $500 that the other companies charged.

Also booked it via TopCashBack to get a little bit extra back too (have got cashback on the flights, some of the hotels and the car hire - it's money for nothing) :D

David.
Do they provide free chips too?
Malcolm "Parkfinder General" Marr

David Ellis
Finance

Post by David Ellis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:42 am

Very amusing Malcolm :lol:
David Ellis

David Ellis
Finance

Post by David Ellis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 am

Hi all,

Susan and I had an amazing time in the USA and Canada...all the planning and liaison with the parks in advance of the trip paid off, with 65 new coasters added to my count and I was able to film POV at almost all of the parks. This is the second of these Road Trips I have organised, and it really is an eye-opener into how much work the club trip monkeys must put into organising these events...for me it was 4 months of hard work...imagine doing that for 50+ people!

Anyway, the highlights:

We were blown away by how friendly the parks were to a couple of British coaster fans...we received discounts, free entries, t-shirts, VIP passes, and permission to film on the coasters too - the hospitality was simply staggering :-)
One park even ran their kiddie coaster first thing in the morning on a day the park was closed, just so we could add it to our counts - how amazing is that!

Susan rode her 900th coaster (Wicked at Lagoon) and I hit my 1000th coaster (Tremors at Silverwood). We were incredibly lucky with the coasters as only one was down during the trip, and amazingly that was a coaster we had ridden before at Celebration City...so we didn't lose out at all. The weather was lovely, with just one thunderstorm during park time (90 minute closure of all rides) over the 18 days...the nice weather followed us around and the bad weather stayed ahead or behind us!

As well as the coasters and parks we did one or two touristy things including Yellowstone National park (Old Faithful Geyser, mudpools, etc), the Space Needle and Chihuli Glass and Gardens in Seattle, Capilano Suspension Bridge in North Vancouver, and also hit the amazing Glenwood Caverns and its swing ride and chair-o-planes that take you out 1300ft above the canyon and the Colorado river. Amazing experience!

The mountain resorts were awesome, not just for the alpine coasters and slides, but the chairlifts and mountain views were breath-taking! As was the scenery whilst driving...I ended up driving 5014 miles in the hire car in 18 days (that's longer than the flight back from Oregon to Heathrow via Seattle) - now to sift through 130Gb of video and 6800 photos! Keep an eye on my Facebook page (for photos) and my YouTube channel (for the videos) in due course!

David.
David Ellis