Phantasialand - mini-report

Discuss trips you're organising yourself here...
Martin Valt
Grand National

Phantasialand - mini-report

Post by Martin Valt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm unable to attend the ECC event at Phantasialand this Saturday, although I would very much like to, due to other commitments in the UK. So I've been there today instead.

Amazingly, it's almost ten years to the day since I last set foot in the park (at an ECC event when Black Mamba had just opened in fact). I realise how remiss of me this has been. Bad enthusiast and all that...

Prime attractions were of course Taron and its little sibling. In the first instance, the main coaster was far more impressive than at least a couple of enthusiasts had given me to understand. Whilst Mack has pretty much rewritten the book for this genre of coaster in the post-Blue Fire era, Taron is nevertheless slick, smooth and breathtakingly well-paced. Look out in particular for the climb up the waterfall coming out of the second launch. It's also visually more striking than just about any other coaster on the planet, and satisfyingly lengthy. Admittedly some of the transitions may not be quite as fluid as those from Mack, and the trains not quite as comfortable (although anyone who's experienced Skyrush at Hershey certainly won't be griping about these!), but it's still a remarkably accomplished offering and certainly the best Intamin coaster I've ridden (damned by feint praise....). Fantastic, efficient three-train operations as well, even though park was very quiet. And a properly managed single rider line.

The Vekoma junior boomerang should have been named Chamäleon, as it's almost impossible to distinguish its track from that of Taron, even whilst riding it. Which is quite an impressive trick.

The flume ride from last year (or earlier perhaps? I don't recall) is just about perfect in every respect. With first generation log flumes now unfortunately being an endangered species everywhere, one can only hope that further contemporary incarnations of similar quality appear elsewhere. And it delivered just about the perfect degree of wetness for a cool and overcast September morning.

Final new-to-me major attraction was the chocolate mouse thingy. Brilliant and addictive. Even better than Disney's Toy Story version. Had to ride it six times before I could get a score higher than 150K :-D

A few less positive comments -

Whilst I agree that amusement parks should be as immersive as possible, a few easy-to-spot and unambiguous signs clearly indicating the correct location of each attraction (and, in particular, its entrance) would be nice.

Despite having a stack of high quality and iconic attractions, why does Phantasialand fail to offer any substantive merchandise relating to any of them? It has the least inspiring selection of merchandise I've ever encountered in any major park outside China. Why any business would choose to disregard such a fundamental and profitable revenue stream simply defeats me.

Much more importantly, does Phantasialand offer a discount for anyone who agrees to smoke non-stop for the duration of their visit? Every visitor above the age of 12 seemed to constantly have a cigarette in their mouth - in queue lines, in restaurants and occasionally on rides. I've never been one for persecuting smokers (even though it's one of the most disgusting and pointless of human pastimes), but this sort of behaviour is just a throwback to another time. The park really needs to publicise and implement it's alleged non-smoking policy much more vigorously.

Anyway, I'm confident that Saturday's event will be fantastic. Hope everyone has a great time, and avoids contracting passive bronchogenic carcinoma.
Bring me fun
Bring me sunshine
Bring me love

Martin

Talhat Mahmood
Vampire
Coaster Count: 1000+

Re: Phantasialand - mini-report

Post by Talhat Mahmood » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:34 am

Nice trip report Martin. I too couldn't make the club trip due to other commitments.

It's been a decade since I last visited Phantasialand. I've not been on Black Mamba yet, this should indicate how long it's been since I visited, what I considered to be one of the best parks in Europe.

I'm hoping to correct all this by attending the park next month during Halloween. I'm looking forward to riding all the new attractions that have been added since my last visit, specially Black Mamba and Taron. Should make a great day out.

Thanks for sharing your trip report.

sven
Wacky Worm

Post by sven » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 am

Talhat: Easy to overlook as it is in the Berlin main street, but just a few years old: "Das verrückte Hotel Tartüff" is a funhouse themed to a hotel and well worth a visit.
Sven Lakemeier

Talhat Mahmood
Vampire
Coaster Count: 1000+

Post by Talhat Mahmood » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am

Sven, thanks for the tip. I'm very fond of fun houses, so will definitely check it out :)