camera advice needed

Non coaster/club related discussions
Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Re: camera advice needed

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:14 pm

They are a good price on Amazon at the moment :)
Andrew Shakespeare
http://www.apsphotography.co.uk
'Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.'

Neo
Vampire

Post by Neo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:47 am

Took a slight gamble on a Panasonic officially refurbished TZ40, comes with 12 months warranty and the standard accessories For £169 including delivery, should be here Tuesday, will let you know how good or bad the refurb is :)

Could have waited for amazon to get one in stock for £199 but could take 3-4 weeks :oops:

Neo
Vampire

Post by Neo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Camera looks and works like brand new, accessories are too, very pleased :)

Just gotta work out all the extra features now before my holiday :oops:

(any marks on the below picture are just dust bits)
Attachments
tz40.jpg
Panasonic TZ40
tz40.jpg (485.98 KiB) Viewed 3921 times

craig smith
Wacky Worm
Coaster Count: 144

Post by craig smith » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:55 pm

As we are on this topic is there anyone here that knows a lot about cameras? I need some advice too :D
I need a new camera but have no real idea what to get. I have been looking at the waterproof ones like the fuFinePix XP70 but i have been told the image quality is not that good so may forget waterproof ones now?
All i know is that i want a thinnish camera that will fit in my belt bag, at least 5X optical zoom and i want burst mode where i can hold down the shutter and take a lot of pictures quickly. The FinePix XP70 has that but the pictures from the burst mode can not be made into high quality. I got a cheep £40 camera recently but the picture quality is rubbish! i guess you get what you pay for.
Any Ideas?

Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 pm

If you are intending on using your new camera under water on numerous occasions, go for a waterproof one (Something like a Panasonic FT Model) however, I would probably worry first of all about budget and quality of lens (Who makes the lens) Try and get a well known lens manufacturer, Leica on Panasonic, Carl Zeiss on Sony and to a certain extent Fujinon on Fuji cameras.

You will know you are going to get a decent optic in the camera then.

2nd thing is the features (do you want a big zoom etc....)

You are right about a £40 camera......I would be thinking of spending a minimum of £150 ish pounds to get a good camera that will last you for years. At a push £100 will get you a reasonable camera, but will sacrifice on a few things like zoom.

You mention you want to be able to take a lot of pictures in burst mode, bear in mind that some camera's will boast 3 fps for example.....but be careful, they may only take 6 photos before the memory buffer is full!

Good one under £100 would be

Sony DSCWX200 £99 on Amazon - it isn't a Carl Zeiss Lens, but it takes pretty good photos....

I would try and push you towards either

Panasonic DMCTZ35 £159.99 on Amazon
The TZ40 like above

Any Q's give me a shout - I sell Consumer Electricals, so I have access to play with a lot of this stuff :)
Andrew Shakespeare

craig smith
Wacky Worm

Post by craig smith » Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Hiya thanks for your advice! I don't know much about cameras at all :)
I have a budget of about £200-£250. Im not too worried about how big the zoom is as long as its reasonable. For instance ,a picture of Stealth as it goes over the top would be nice taking up the whole frame. My £40 camera has a burst mode but they all come out in very low quality and small and i want full quality pictures. I have seen a few cameras with 10 fps which would be nice. I don't really understand buffering but i only need the camera to take 5 or 10 continues pictures like for catching a train at the top of a loop for example. Then i can just delete the pictures i don't want there and then in the phone.
I could extend my budget if i find something perfect for me. I really like some if the compact fix lens cameras at around £400 but the are to chunky! I have one of those flat travel belt bags you put around your waist and would lie to be able to put it in there really. About 2-2.5cm thick.

That Panasonic TZ60 looks a lovely camera.

Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm

TZ60 is a fantastic camera, coming in at some good prices at the moment, I particularily like the inclusion of a viewfinder for the first time in the TZ range of cameras, will look forward to playing with that at a training event soon :)

The buffer isn't an issue with the TZ as it can do 10fps (better than my dSLR!)

it is a little thicker than you are wanting though, coming in at 3.5cm thick.... go and find one at a local store and have a play, you will be impressed.
Andrew Shakespeare

malcolm
Ben Hur Racer

Post by malcolm » Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm

I need to buy a new camera as the heat of Happy Valley Wuhan melted the jog wheel on my current Canon Powershot.
I'm looking at the G16 or the new G1 X but they're both quite pricey.
Malcolm "Parkfinder General" Marr

craig smith
Wacky Worm

Post by craig smith » Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 pm

malcolm wrote:I need to buy a new camera as the heat of Happy Valley Wuhan melted the jog wheel on my current Canon Powershot.

wow how hot was it there! :)

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Post by Richard Bannister » Thu May 15, 2014 6:01 pm

malcolm wrote:I need to buy a new camera as the heat of Happy Valley Wuhan melted the jog wheel on my current Canon Powershot.
I have a G15 and am very happy with it. Unfortunately I too need to replace mine, due to the fact that the lens is scratched. Unfortunately the repair is going to be more than the camera is worth.

There are fairly solid rumours that the G17 is imminent - with a much better sensor than the G16. I'm going to hold out for that.

The G1 X is just too big.