camera advice needed

Non coaster/club related discussions
Neo
Vampire

camera advice needed

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my camera, which is a Panasonic TZ7 had it for quite a few years now, still works a treat but want a replacement that is still pocketable with a larger zoom and FULL HD but without spending silly money :oops:

Been looking at a Nikon S9700 (Feb 2014 release) can get it for £270 which I don't think is a bad deal considering the features, is Nikon a decent brand with good picture quality ???

camera is so new I can't find any reviews yet.

cheers

Neo

Neo
Vampire

Re: camera advice needed

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:32 am

Dennis van Breukelen
Benelux IT guy

Post by Dennis van Breukelen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

Neo most of the people i know that ar serius about taking photo's are using a DSLR at the moment.
Others are using the smaller compact camera's just to take some pictures. It totally depends on what you want.

Always a good place to start is www.dpreview.com for the camera reviews and see if it's a good buy or not.
Everything you know is wrong!

DaveHallwood
Fujiyama
Coaster Count: <∞∴≥0

Post by DaveHallwood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 am

find a review of the previous model, if that was good, chances are the new one will be too...?
Step out of the darkness and onto the streets, Forget about the fast, let's have a carnival feast, Raise up your lowered head and hear the liberation beat, Because there never was no God.

Neo
Vampire

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

Like pocket sized cameras coz i NEVER leave anything in the baggage area of rides not unless they have lockable lockers near to it.

yeah used www.dpreview.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com/ in the past, had a quick nose around them but drew a blank :oops:

did find - http://www.photographyblog.com/previews ... 00_photos/

Will have to size it up against my TZ7 and see :)

Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:36 am

Only just saw this post :)

The TZ7 was a fantastic camera, with the Leica Lens, I personally had this camera when it was new. I would try and stick with Panasonic or Canon if you are wanting to stick with a Pocket Camera, I like Nikon, but only when you get to their dSLR's, Their Pocket range seems to be aimed at "Fun" rather than quality.

The new Panasonic TZ60 is a phenominal Camera which matches a fantastic picture along with compact size. I would consider that one.
Andrew Shakespeare
http://www.apsphotography.co.uk
'Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.'

Neo
Vampire

Post by Neo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Same here, had the tz7 since it came out, still a great camera but time to move onto a larger zoom and FULL HD :)

Looked at the TZ60, very pricey and not loving the lcd viewfinder, could try the tz55 but that's only a 20x zoom :(

did google a sony hx50 (30x zoom) for £229 but all the sample images looked like a watercolour painting without much detail :facepalm:

will trawl a few shops tomorrow :)

thanks again for the replies

Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Neo wrote:Same here, had the tz7 since it came out, still a great camera but time to move onto a larger zoom and FULL HD :)

Looked at the TZ60, very pricey and not loving the lcd viewfinder, could try the tz55 but that's only a 20x zoom :(

did google a sony hx50 (30x zoom) for £229 but all the sample images looked like a watercolour painting without much detail :facepalm:

will trawl a few shops tomorrow :)

thanks again for the replies
Try to get hold of a DMCTZ40 if you can, I got this for my Wife Christmas before last (also to use if I don't fancy lugging my dSLR gear around :evil: it is fantasic and the HD Video is really good quality!
Andrew Shakespeare
http://www.apsphotography.co.uk
'Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.'

Richard Bannister
Montezooma's revenge
Coaster Count: 2136

Post by Richard Bannister » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm rather fond of the PowerShot G series. They're a little bigger than the norm but the picture quality makes up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo
Vampire

Post by Neo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Finally got my hands on a Nikon s9700, on paper it was a similar size to my TZ7 but putting them together, the Nikon was clearly on the larger side which ruled out it being "pocketable" guess a 30x zoom camera was never gonna be that small anyways :oops:

So i've scaled back to 20ish zoom and the Panasonic TZ range consistently keeps getting glowing reviews, looks like i'm after a TZ40 after all :)