Computer Security potential issue?

Non coaster/club related discussions
Steve Davies
Wacky Worm

Computer Security potential issue?

Post by Steve Davies » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:30 am

Hi, just a point I thought I would mention,
Not infrequently, unfamiliar emails are appearing in my inbox, sender's names I have never heard of, with subjects relating to invoices, payments received, money transfers, etc, etc. with attachments.
As this particular email address is used by me ONLY for club related stuff and absolutely nothing else, and I do not do any transactions as such (certainly not involving this email address) I am wondering- is maybe somebody's computer infected with some sort of virus or malware, one of those that attaches itself to people's contact list or whatever?
I am probably the least computer savvie person in the ECC, so excuse me if I sound a bit thick on this, but thought I would mention it in case it's happening to anybody else.
I am of course deleting these mails straight off when I discover them, and not opening any attachments.

Cheers,

Steve Davies

Stevie B
Grand National
Coaster Count: 1048

Re: Computer Security potential issue?

Post by Stevie B » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I am getting emails like that too but all hitting my spam folder. Still, getting them all the same. Accounts hacked, deliveries accepted and payments made. Not stupid enough to open them but started coming out of nowhere a while back.
Steve Burns #4740

My Picture Collections https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevie-b/collections/

paul
Trips Manager

Re: Computer Security potential issue?

Post by paul » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:37 pm

I have had something very similar happen through my Gmail account from members within the club. Sometimes a change in password is all they need to do and it should solve the problem. Might be worthwhile dropping them a line ot let them know that it is happening (I have in the past and it seems to help :) )

Paul
Paul Samuels
Trips Gorilla :)
paul.samuels@coasterclub.org