Andrew's and Nina's UK Cre-ho Trip 2013

Post comments on your own trips and new rides in here
Andylamb
Treetops

Andrew's and Nina's UK Cre-ho Trip 2013

Post by Andylamb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:03 pm

In August 2013 a month after a fantastic China trip myself and Nina did a a big trip around (literally) England and Wales. The purpose of which was to tick off as many coasters as possible :) during the trip it was Nina's special birthday. It was a very intensive 9 days

here goes:

Day 1\2

Friday 2nd August

After a busy Day at work I went to Gatwick Airport to pick Nina up and the hire car. Then a two and a half hour drive to Weymouth

Miles driven: 145 miles

Saturday 3rd August

First stop of the trip was the Weymouth Super Snails.

Miles driven: Hotel to Snails less than 2 miles

A controversial tick but our rule is if it is on coaster count it counts. Not a very successful start to the trip however as it was closed and there were no signs with opening times. We asked as the ice cream kiosk next door and they said it normally opens around mid day. We could not wait around so we had to make a move.

(I went back in September and again found it closed)

Next stop on the tip was Crealy Devon′s Great Adventure Park 

Miles Driven to next park: 54 Miles

A nice small park with 1 coaster - I think we got in on our ECC card with a discount which is meant for the other club. A nice Vekoma Family coaster called Maximus can be found here, one quick ride and then back in the car.

ImageImage

Next Stop Teignmouth Pier

Miles driven to next park 17 miles

After a little struggle in finding a car parking space we made our way to the pier. Just in front of the pier there was a small fun fair. A quick look around in the hope of a travelling coaster but not one to be found. So we made our way onto the pier. We got to the end and it was cordoned off! a quick check on rcdb and we were indeed on the correct pier. So what has happened to the Go Gator? we spoke to one of the operators of one of the small rides. It seems the end of the pier is under restoration and he said from that he has heard the Go gator is not goingto return. I guess due to many coaster counters trying to ride it.

back in the car

Next stop Cornwall′s Crealy Great Adventure Park

Miles driven to next park: 92 miles

A small kiddie coaster that was previously at Camelot & Tir Prince Family Funfair (Wales) called Morgawr. No discount at this Crealys park, 1 quick ride and then back in the car.

Next stop Kit Hill Park - St. Budeaux

Miles driven to next park: 48 miles

A controversial tick - a ridge rider

Next stop Cadgwith Cove Inn

Miles driven to hotel: 79 Miles

A very nice hotel\pub Situated in the heart of the village. Nina wasn't to impressed with the shared bathroom tho

http://www.cadgwithcoveinn.com/photos/

Hope you enjoyed this post.... stay tuned :D

Andrew Shakespeare
Dragon Mountain

Re: Andrew's and Nina's UK Cre-ho Trip 2013

Post by Andrew Shakespeare » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Everyone loves a good Cre-ho story :)
Andrew Shakespeare
http://www.apsphotography.co.uk
'Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.'

Andylamb
Treetops

Post by Andylamb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Day 3

Sunday 4th August 2013

First stop of the day was Flambards Village Theme Park 

Miles driven from Hotel to park: 10 Miles

A little waiting around as we didn't realize the rides open a half an hour after the park opens. 1 coaster a Zierer family coaster called Hornet. Apparently the most southerly coaster in the UK (I would have thought the coaster on the Isle of Wright would be more south

Back in the car

Next stop was The Milky Way Adventure Park

Miles driven to next park: 84 miles

Three coasters at this park, two outdoor and one indoors. We managed to get in with a discount. The heavens where starting to open so we decided to go for the outdoor ones first.

The 1st coaster we rode was Cosmic Typhoon as Zyklon Galaxy.

Then we rode their Wacky Worm coaster name Big Apple.We were lucky with this one as whilst we where on the ride the rain got heaver and they suspended operation after our ride

We then made our way indoors to ride Clone Zone. A very unique coaster, parts of which felt more like a dark ride.

and back into the car

Next stop was Beechfield Road Play Park

Miles driven to next park: 15 miles

Another ridge rider. If your easily offended please look away now

Back in the Car

Next stop was Coney Beach Via Cardiff to pick up the legendary Stevie Bee

Miles driven to next park: 160 miles

We got to the park just after 5 and found it to be closed. Me and Nina visited last year an only got the Go Gator so we missed Nessi (I went back again in September and found it closed for a third time too!)

No photos as was very disappointed!

Miles driven to Hotel: 136 Miles

Loads of twisty country roads in the dark and it rained most of the time! not a great journey but made it :)

Stay tuned.....

Andylamb
Treetops

Post by Andylamb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 am

Day 4

Monday 5th August

First Stop of the day Kiddies Fun Fair, Barmouth

Miles Driven from hotel to park: 0.3 Miles

A wacky worm resides at this small park, interestingly we found that the coaster is owned by the arcade (that is behind the fair) and is completely separately owned to all the other rides. This wacky worm I would say is probably the most remote in the UK (not inc northern Ireland) and has a Tyre driven lift. Due to this the coaster does not run in the rain, as the train cannot make it up the hill due to lack of friction.

Being in Wales I cannot see this coaster running too often! It was still raining (don't think it stopped raining over night) when we were there. It wasn't looking good, we managed to track down - the big boss man? the owner? and he said he will run it if it stopped raining for 5 mins. We didn't want to leave as this place without this tick as it is so out of the way, so we decided to stick around and managed to find a cafe to have some breakie.

About 15 mins later it stopped raining!! so we rushed over to the coaster, the ride ops gave us the number of the big boss and he came over and ran some test runs. Again it was not looking good as the first 3 or 4 circuits the coaster was not making it up the hill and the staff where having to push the train up. Me and Stevie looked at each other and we knew that possibly this was gonna be a lost tick. The next test run the train made it over - no assistance required! I've never felt so happy!

We all got on the train, it stopped on the hill briefly before they pushed it up with us on it! after that we made it up on on the 3+ (lost count) circuits they gave us. Big bravo to the staff they would not accept any tips from us either. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We lost some time which hurt some of our plans for the rest of the day but it was worth it. I do hope the coaster and park survived the storms over the winter as I know Barmouth was hit very hard.

After that excitement when headed of to the next park GreenWood Forest Park 

Miles driven to the next park: 44 miles

An Eco friendly park with a very unique coaster. Called Green Dragon, the riders first walk into a funicular train which pushes up the rollercoaster train to the top of the lift. So therefore is also Eco friendly! we went on it twice, it would be rude not to and we where already far behind schedule.

Next stop Knightly′s Funfair

Miles driven to the next park: 31 miles

A Zamperla Powered coaster pretty standard stuff

Back in the car to get to the next stop Tir Prince Family Fun Fair

Miles driven to the next park: 0.3 miles (down the road and turn right)

2 coasters at this park, First a Pinfari Zyklon Z40 imaginatively called Z40 Roller Coaster

And another wacky worm (chain lift this time thank goodness) called Crazy Caterpillar. The ride op went briefly AWOL further delaying us.

Due to the earlier events we had to skip Nessi in Rhyl and Wallis Fair Ground in New Brighton (I went back in September) so next stop was to Gulliver′s Warrington. Before the trip I contacted the park and they organised a chaperon to take us around the park, we didn't want to miss it due to the effort of the park so we had to travel quite fast. Whilst driving it went through my mind that If we where pulled over I would have to explain to the old bill that we have to make it to Gulliver′s Warrington before it closes.... fortunately that didn't happen and I wasn't driving that fast anyway. We made it with 30 mins to spare.

Miles driven to the next park: 54 miles

3 Coasters at this park and 1 under construction

Runaway Train a Zamprela Mini Mouse was not running, due to the rain earlier in the day. We all knew it could run - the sun was out but couldn't complain as we were being very well treated by the park. (I got to ride it when i went back in September)

The first Coaster we got taken to was Wild Mine Ride a full size Wild mouse coaster

and then we got taken to their signature Coaster a woodie Antelope. Merlin need to take note! we rode twice it would be rude not to.

We walked past the wacky worm that was being constructed. This used to be at Camelot. As you can see its had a nice paint job and was almost ready. It been called the Wriggler (I go tto ride this in Spetember too)

We then went Liverpool to go to Pizza Hut (Nina's Favorite restaurant) and to deliver Stevie to the coach station as he was leaving us.

Miles driven via Liverpool to the hotel: 39 mile

The next day will be a very special one....

Stevie B
Grand National
Coaster Count: 1048

Post by Stevie B » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for the great picture. I have better ones.

Steve Burns #4740

My Picture Collections https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevie-b/collections/

Andylamb
Treetops

Post by Andylamb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Day 5

Tuesday 6th August

This day marked Nina's 40th year on planet earth and we had a big day planned with lots of travelling

First stop was Knowsley Safari Park 

Miles Driven from hotel to park: 19 miles

A safari park with a small permanent fair attached, A Wacky worm coaster named Rattle Snake. Themed as a Rattle Snake. We had to wait a little while before they opened the coaster

Back in the car and off to the next stop which was New Pleasureland Southport

Miles driven to the next park: 25 miles

I never got here when it was the old Pleasureland Southport, these days the rides that are at this park are travelling rides and therefore I understand they change often, sometimes even during the Season. When we visited there were 5 coasters

First one was a Go-Gator named Family Ride

And then of to the next coaster - Wildcat a Pinfari Zyklon. This is the only original coaster from the original park. I don't believe it travels

Next a Wacky Worm named Happy Caterpiller

A Reverchon spinning coaster named Crazy Mouse. This was the same coaster that was Ice Mountain at Hyde Park Winder Wonderland during last Christmas

finally there was a coaster made by CAM Baby Kart named Grand Canyon. Previously this coaster was at Bayside Pleasure Park, Bridlington

Back in the car and when when to our next stop Pleasure Beach Blackpool 

Miles driven to the next park: 35 miles

World famous park, we had to return for Nina as she missed out on a couple of the coasters the previous year. We also bumped into Simon whilst in the park.

Steeplechase Nina was missing the red track

Avalanche

Back into a car and off to another park that is by the coast. This time Ocean Beach Pleasure Park on the north east coast.

Miles driven to the next park: 152 miles

Two coasters at this park, was not sure what time this park closes as on the website it says 'to late'. We got there at around 7 and they seemed to close shortly after we rode both the coasters :)

Another Wacky Worm named Big Apple

And another Pinfari Zyklon imaginatively named Zyklon

Off to the next "park" a Ridgerider at Ferndene Park

Miles driven to the next park: 17 miles

A quick pizza in the centre of Newcastle and then a drive to our hotel in Yorkshire.

Miles driven to the hotel: 95 miles

Not a great moment driving down some country roads when we accidentally ran over a small animal possibly a wild rabbit of some nature. :( and had a few issues with the independent hotel were staying at.

stay tuned for day 6...

Andylamb
Treetops

Post by Andylamb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Day 6

Wednesday 7th August

Another busy day was planned first stop Flamingo Land Theme Park & Zoo

Miles Driven from hotel to park: 7 miles

We visited the previous and we missed a couple of coasters and installed 2 new coasters for 2013. We made use of their Fast pass system as we previously found the operations of the coasters slow in the past.

First coaster we headed to was Dragon Coaster which Nina missed last year.. It seems to have left the park

So then we headed to Mumbo Jumbo an S & S El Loco coaster. It broke down on us on our previous visit

We then went to their first new coaster, Hero a Zamprela Flying Coaster. I have previously ridden 2 of this type of coaster, 1 in Finland and the other in Canada. This is the best of the three

Next was the other new coaster a Zamprela Junior Twister Coaster named Twistosaurus

We then tried to ride their Go Gator (I always try, its become a tradition) but we where denied. But on the way to Twistosaurus we noticed they had moved the Dragon Coaster which has been renamed Dino Roller. Nina was happy and relieved

Back in the car and a quick exit due to the fast passes. We made our way to Bayside Pleasure Park 

Miles driven to the next park: 36 miles

A small permanent Funfair with a Wacky Worm

It was a quick stop, back in the car and we headed to Mack′s Amusements 

Miles driven to the next park: 60 Miles

This 'park' is just a few rides on a beach, one of which is a small coaster named Little Dipper, I believe this is the only existing coaster of this type. It is quite old RCDB list is as operating since the mid 70's

During the winter there was a Tidal surge, I have seen reports that the sea level rose above the entire coaster. Let's hope it has survived.

Back in the car and off to the next stop Pleasure Island Family Theme Park which is only down the road

Miles driven to the next park: 2 Miles

3 coasters at this park, owned by the same company as Flamingo Land so we were not allowed on their Go Gator of course :(

So we then headed to Mini Mine Train, A Vekoma Junior Coaster

We then rode their Boomerang the first of two on our trip

Back into the car (via the Go Gator to try again) and we headed to Dunnes Leisure

Miles driven to the next park: 25 miles

Another permanent funfair with 1 coaster. A Miner Mike Runaway Train, which used to be at Canvey Island. We got speaking to the owner who told us that it has been extended into an oval layout, previously it was more circular.

Back in the car again the next stop was Fantasy Island

Miles driven to the next park: 14 miles

Earlier on the trip when Stevie was with us he warned us that it was unlikely that we will be able to ride all the coaster on one visit and it is well known that people have issues riding their kiddy coaster (Jellikins) as they don't normally let adults ride due to the train having a low roof. lets see how we did.

First coaster we rode was the Millennium Coaster, A Vekoma sit down one

Then we went for their powered coaster named Rhombus's Rocket

And then Fantasy Mouse a Reverchon Spinning coaster

We then decided to try our luck with the Jellikins Coaster, at first as expected the operator would not let us on. We told them what we did (coaster counters etc) and Nina mentioned that the signage did not mention anything about adults not being allowed to ride, only an upper height restriction that she was just under. So the operator gave in and I sneaked onto the coaster to :) See below for my poorly lit photo as proof.

Next up and finally for this park was the Jubilee Odyssey an non standard SLC. Where we going to get all 5 coaster in one visit? it wasn't looking good when we got to the entrance as it was all shut up. However there was a sign saying that it was running in rotation with the Millennium coaster1 :) We had to wait for around a half an hour so we used the time to order Dominoes pizza for later

Back into the car and we headed to the next park Botton′s Pleasure Beach which was not far away.

Miles driven to the next park: 4 Miles

This park has 4 four coasters, on arrival one of them, Rockin Roller was testing. So we headed to their Wacky Worm named Big Apple. The operator told us that Rockin Roller will probably not open as it was close to their closing time

We then headed to a Pinfari Queen Bee named (you guessed it) Queen Bee

Then we headed to Runaway Train a similar coaster to Grand Canyon that was at Southport the previous day. It manufactured by a different company I believe.

As we got off we noticed that Rockin Roller was taking riders we were having a very lucky day.

A Fabbri Spinning Madness coaster

By that time is was running late. The plan was to go to Rainbow Park next but we decided the 7 parks and 17 coasters was enough for one day!.

One the way back we had a little bit of a disaster, An A road was closed near King's Lynn, so we followed the diversion which took us in a large circle! we then thought that we must have made a mistake somewhere so we followed it again and we went in the same circle! we got clever and decided to use the sat nav instead which took us in a different circle!. It was getting very late so we decided to call the B&B that were were booked into to cancel and then we were on a look out for an alternative hotel. We got lucky again as on our circling adventure we found a hotel and managed to check ourselves in for the night.

Miles driven to the hotel: Felt like 100 miles

These events had some unfortunate knock on affects during the next couple of days..... stay tuned!

Barry Schmitz
Benelux Facebook/Forum Guy
Coaster Count: 319

Post by Barry Schmitz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for you're tripreports and pictures Andrew. I like!
Several years ago i've been at Mack's Amusements. That small coaster is fun and interesting. I've seen a video where it was standing in the sea during a flood. So, it's a watercoaster also. Whoohoo!

I've also been in Pleasure Island Family Themepark, and Fantasy Island. You got more luck then me with the Jellikins coaster. I've tried it , but was not allowed to ride it. Next time better.. :oops:

craig smith
Wacky Worm
Coaster Count: 144

Post by craig smith » Tue May 06, 2014 11:44 pm

cool trip report. those ridge riders look interesting. I have never seen or heard of those before.

Andylamb
Treetops

Post by Andylamb » Wed May 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Day 7

Thursday 8th August

Due to the travel issues the night previously we adapted out plans and did the parks in a different order. The first park we did was Rainbow Park, which we was the park we should have visited the evening before.

Miles Driven from hotel to park: Approx 30 miles

A Dragon coaster called Sea Dragon

Back into the car and off to Pettitts Animal Adventure Park

Miles driven to the next park: 67 Miles

This small park has quite a unique coaster called Runaway Train

Next stop some more unique coasters at Joyland Amusement Park 

Miles driven to the next park: 11 Miles

A really special place all very compact so hard to get photos, it is well worth a visit. 3 coasters here, The first one we rode was The Snail for some unknown reason it is not on RCDB. I would say it is definitely a powered coaster

Next up was Tyrolean Tubtwist - only one of these according to RCDB

and finally Spook Express

Then a quick drive up the road to Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach

Miles driven to the next park: 1 Mile

3 coasters at this park, first one we went on was Big Apple as Wacky Worm

We then strode over to Family Star a Fabbri Spinning coaster

and then the signature coaster a wooden Coaster built in 1932 called Roller Coaster

I have now been on all UK wooden coasters :)

Back into the car and off to the next part which was Pleasurewood Hills 

Miles driven to the next park: 10 Miles

another park with 3 coasters. We first headed to their Schwarzkopf named Enigma

Then we went to endure their Vekoma Boomerang Wipeout. This coaster used to be at America Adventure

and finally we went on Snake In The Grass a Zierer Tivoli

Back in the car and off to a funfair that was near by which had one coaster. Many thanks goes to Malcolm for tipping us off on this one

Miles driven to the fair: 3 Miles

Runaway Train owned by Charlie Appleton

Back in car to head to our hotel

Miles driven to hotel: 126 Miles

Got into my room looked at my spreadsheet and to my dismay we missed 1 park near Great Yarmouth. this would have to get sorted....